Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 7--The Halfway Point

Class
As usual I enjoyed class especially our guess speaker, Vicki Brown from the Ann Arbor District Library.  She discussed book clubs, tips, and various trends occurring.  In addition, she informed the class that the AADL assembles bags called “Book Clubs to Go.”  These bags contain the basic essentials required to hold a book club—multiple copies of the book, discussion question/notes, and the movie version of the book if available.  I did not know about this resource and am so excited to try it out that I am currently picking out a few options for my personal book club.  It’s hard because there are so many choices!

In addition to our guest speaker, we discussed the return of our blogger issue assignment, our upcoming book club assignment, and Socratic seminars.  Socratic seminars require deep critical thinking that help people (students in particular) to truly understand a document/writing/artwork, etc.  While leaders head up the discussion, they do not share their opinion.  They let the group come to their own conclusions.

At the end of class, a few “lucky” classmates (not me!) demonstrated the process of how the Socratic seminar worked.  Kristin asked each member of the seminar a question based on the Darnton’s article we read and they formulated their opinion.  While I am a fan of the Socratic seminar in academic settings, I am not for book club purposes.  I feel that the direct questions make people feel uncomfortable and can be intimidating, which is not the atmosphere I wish to conduct a book club discussion in.  I believe it should be relaxed and inviting not inquisitive.

Readings
My book club chose a short narrative by Edgar Allan Poe called " The Cask of Amontillado." After reading other selections for this week it fits in well for our book club.
 
“A Good Man Is Hard To Find”
I must admit this story did not turn out the way I anticipated it to. It starts off as a regular short story about a talkative grandmother and her family taking a short vacation to Florida; however, this narrative turns deadly. I am interested in hearing other group members’’ take and perhaps meaning behind the plot.

“The Imp of the Perverse”
It looks like another group also chose a work by Edgar Allen Poe.  Being familiar with Poe’s work and genre, I am expecting grimness and death to occur throughout the story.  I am not disappointed.  Though having read several of Poe’s works, I have not read this one in particular before.  I did find it more complex than some of Poe’s other stories.  I wonder if others felt the same way?

“Roosts”
The picture that appeared with the story was creepy enough even without ever reading the story!  I must admit I am slightly confused at the ending of the story.  Why weren’t things “the same again after that?”  Why were these birds going there to die? So many questions!

This book club should be interesting since all of these stories seem to share similar themes, which should provide stimulating discussions.  While I find thrilling stories, well, thrilling, I dislike how they end without explanations.  I always wish for more information and understanding—not left to ponder my own conclusions.  I am curious to the insights of others and their comprehension of these readings.  Maybe they can provide answers to my questions.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the best uses of the Socratic seminar model; I see its usefulness in an academic setting, but as a student/participant, it makes me extremely anxious, and that's not how I want to feel at a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree about not being a fan of Socratic Seminars for book clubs. Too much pressure!

    Also, I think you are the only one of our cohorts who is not doing the later book club. It was interesting to see another group of stories. I hope it went well!

    ReplyDelete