Thursday, February 17, 2011

Week 6

Readings

Hoffert “Book Clubs”

Book clubs have evolved over the years. Thematic approach allows readers to read books that possess the same themes instead of everyone reading the same book.  This appeals to people who normally do not attend book clubs, but might enjoy the topic.  Another aspect that’s different is linking books with other media such as plays, movies and videoconference.  These new clubs attract not only the avid reader as before, but also new people.  They build a community.

It’s funny, one of my not-for-schools book I reading mentions how cool it is to be in a book club now a days.  I thought this was interesting because we are talking about it in class now and the book was written less than a year ago.  I’m in a book club now and I think they are fun even if we’re pretty traditional.  I’m always looking for an excuse to read more. J

Metzger, Margaret. "Teaching reading: beyond the plot."

In this article high school students were have a difficult time understanding complex text; therefore, Margaret Metzger, a high school teacher, modified the Socratic Seminar to help.  A Socratic Seminar is a focused discussion made up of a group of students that revolve around a specific text.  Student takes turns voicing their opinions, ideas, and questions based on their interpretation of the material with little or no interference from the teacher.  It took a few tries and alteration of executions, but in the end Margaret Metzger found that the students were able to understand the material better.  Being engaged allows for more absorption and comprehension in learning settings.

I mentioned this is my last blog, but I had a teacher who used the Socratic Seminar and it really facilitated the learning processes.  I’m not much of a debater but they were always interesting discussions.  I wish more teachers implemented this method.

Lynda Tredway “Socratic Seminars: Engaging Students in Intellectual Discourse”

With the Socratic Seminar students develop their critical thinking skills and bounce their ideas and questions off of one and another.  As the article states students participate in active learning, therefore, should retain more information.  Students also develop their vocabulary, text analysis, and interpretative and comparative reading (27).  In addition to the educational benefits, students gain self-worth and esteem.

Teachers have slightly different roles as a seminar leader.  They are not just pushing the information out to students in hopes that it gets absorbed.  Instead they guide students to
1.       A deeper and clarified consideration  of the ideas of the text
2.       A respect for varying points of view
3.       Adherence to and respect of the seminar process (28)

My favorite part of this article is the end.  It says that the schools primary purpose is to prepare “thoughtful citizens for active involvement in a democratic society” (29).  The Socratic Seminar is supposed to facilitate that.  I think it just might…

Class

I have to admit I was kind of drained during class since I had lots of homework due this week; however, the cheesy, old Valentine’s Day cards perked me up.  Normally, I think I recap well, but this week I may be lacking.
                                                                                                                                                    
We discussed transfer and how it has tied into our semester readings so far and how it applies to not only K-12 librarians, but all librarians.  After all, aren’t libraries environments where transfer is supposed to occur?  Before I only thought the idea really applied to K-12 librarians, and now I am beginning to rethink that.

We also talked about “hook questions” and Kristin used the example of how a person would do research to obtain information about cars.  Lots of good answers…

Finally, we picked partners for our book club assignment and discussed what type of material we could use.  I think we may be leaning towards a children’s book.  Yeah, I love children’s books.  I still have most of mine.

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you noticed it too. I had made a note of the same quote from the Metzger article that sums up an advantage of teaching the Socratic Seminar to HS students. Teaching them to read more critically is a marvelous thing, but teaching them to listen and evaluate what they read, to be “thoughtful citizens for active involvement in a democratic society” is absolutely priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was a very to-the-point post. Very organized, very not like mine. Yeah, the prevailing thought seems to be socratic seminars=good. That, and socratic seminars=wish we had had them. Probably a lot more people will be saying that too. Hopefully they'll go mainstream sometime relatively soon.

    ReplyDelete